SIEPR UGRA Program-Academic Year
The UGRA program aims to offer dynamic research opportunities for 成人大片 undergraduates during the academic year. The UGRA program continues to focus on enriching the student research experience, and will also offer more opportunities for students to participate in the intellectual life of SIEPR.听
Each quarter students and their faculty mentor will meet prior to the start of the quarter to agree on project goals and learning outcomes for a quarter-long research experience. The student time commitment is expected to be equivalent to a 3-unit course (approximately 9 hours per week). The Winter Quarter program will run from January 8 to March 15, 2024.
- Students will be paid a fellowship stipend of $1500 each academic quarter
- Students are not听held to a weekly work hour requirement
- Faculty mentors will听assess听student听progress at the middle and at the end of the quarter to make sure students are meeting听expectations on their project.听
- Students will attend a one-hour weekly working group meeting hosted by SIEPR
- The meetings will offer peer-to-peer interaction, professional development opportunities, and skills training.
- SIEPR will host monthly seminars/presentations for undergraduate students
- Students will submit to SIEPR periodic research summaries throughout the quarter and a final slide summarizing their project outcomes around the end of the quarter
UGRAs must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at 成人大片. Coterm students who are interested in the program will need to hold undergraduate standing to be eligible for the SIEPR UGRA program.
How to Apply
To apply for the SIEPR UGRA program, fill out the online application using the link below. Please follow the instructions in the application portal. The application will ask you to answer a few general questions about your academic interests.
Please prepare to upload the materials listed below:
- A list of the current courses that you are enrolled in for the upcoming quarter.听
- A cover letter that addresses the following:
- Why are you interested in a SIEPR UGRA position?
- What is your previous experience, if any, with research?
- What are your personal research interests?
If you have questions, please email听sieprfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are currently open for winter quarter.
Distributional consequences of mortgage market contract design
Mentor: Greg Buchak
By far, the largest financial transaction the typical US household will undertake is purchasing a home with a mortgage. For nearly a century the US government has been highly involved in the design and operation of the mortgage market, including selecting and subsidizing contracts with particular contractual terms (e.g., fixed rate, 30-year, prepayable) that are somewhat unique to the US. In this project we aim to understand the distributional tradeoffs of selecting these particular contractual terms, whether they would survive in a laissez-faire environment, and whether there is a different set of terms that would improve social outcomes.
RA Responsibilities: The RA will mainly assist with working with large-scale datasets, producing figures, tables, and some basic econometric analysis.听
RA Qualifications: Familiarity with working with large datasets using preferably python or R. Basic background knowledge in finance, economics, and econometrics is a plus but is not required.